Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 2

MONDAY- Rise and shine came quickly this morning at 7:00 when SCSDB's five astronauts rolled out of bed. As they wiped the sleep from their eyes, David met them (and only laughed for a short time) then directed them to the nearest shower, or gave them the schedule for the day so they'd know what to bring or not bring. After a hearty breakfast of Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, bananas, apples, biscuits, eggs, sausage and orange juice (hopefully not ALL of those) the students broke into their groups and headed to their first activity at 8. 

David interpreted for Kia, SP and Dale while they did "Rocket Construction" building a rocket to be launched later in the week. They'll use a real launchpad and if they've assembled it correctly :) the rocket will separate and the parachute will come out and float safely to the ground. All 3 of the students had fun and were attentive during their construction. As the pictures below show, their group did "5 Degrees of Freedom" to simulate being attached to a rocket, but out in space fixing a satellite. Dale said, "it feels like being in space, like I could fall at any time, but it was cool." Their Atlas group also did a high gravity ride that Dale asked David to ride with him, so both staff and student had joint thrills today!

Kate began her mission training this morning and did well interacting with her group as they solved problems and progressed together. David had the privilege of joining Kate and her group as they entered "Area 51" which entailed low ropes course activities and many team building objectives. Kate was chosen as a captain for one activity, where she helped load "radioactive fuel pellets" into their energy reserve tank. Don't worry mom and dad, "radioactive fuel pellets" is code for TENNIS BALLS. Kate did a great job brainstorming a solution to the problem and helped her teammates successfully complete their mission. Kate was also part of a "Med-Evac." activity in which she got to zipline to "safety."

Lee and his group also got to start their training for their "Mars" mission. Lee did wonderfully joining his peers in their hard work towards completing their goals. Lee got to experience "The Magic of Science" today as well as climb a rock wall and learn about mapping the moon! Today, Lee's group really focused on mission-work both morning and afternoon, so I'm sure Lee will be tired tonight!

Here are some updates from the kids.....

Kate- Hello to everyone! I'm so excited my first time at Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama. I love new deaf friends. I like keep make me busy all day and tomorrow too! I hope you can see pictures on the Blog. I will see you next week Monday.

Dale-Hey this is Dale I'm having an awesome time it is a lot of fun and I am so tired I rode the space shot with David it was really fun. I made new friends some of them are from California, Maryland,etc... they are fantastic to hang around with and I have a busy day tomorrow.

Lee- Hi! I'm enjoy space camp and much talk! I made friends some. today we started mission work. We also played a yellow tag game!

Kia- Hey! I have a lot fun! I make a new friends. They are from Maryland, Pennsylvania, and California. I learn a lot thing. The food is better that SCSDB food. Also we play games. But it have weird rules but i would not  tell you about the rule. i want all of you get experience.

SP- Hey, i do have a fun in the space camp!! I do made a new friends! i do want to u come over and have a fun, also the foods are very good! i do have a awesome time! those people were very nice and respect... also i want to come space camp again, next year! =/ 













5 comments:

  1. I am so glad everyone is having such a great time. Keep up the hard work. Don't forget to get you mission patches. I will see everyone at graduation on Friday.

    cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like everyone had fun. I hope there is picture of Kate on the zip line. And no, I wasn't worried about radioactive pellets.
    Everyone is fine here and I look forward to more postings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I am glad to hear that you guys are having fun! Keep up the great work! Love you guys! It has been boring at school without you all! LOL! Keep on posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, SCSD crew! I enjoyed reading your cool blog. You obviously have a BLAST time. I can't wait to hear more details when you come back next week. Yes, I'll keep reading your postings for the rest of this week. Enjoy your unforgettable week in AL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A response from all of the astronauts in ALA.

    Hello!!!! We'll see you soon! We love you. Everything is going well in Alabama.

    KJ, we miss everyone (well, almost everyone) at school.

    Cheryl and Roger, we'll keep in touch, and definitely be safe

    Kim, we're writing writing writing, so please keep checking out blog. It's been lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete