Sunday, May 2, 2010

Arrival to drippy and dreary Huntsville...Forecast; better weather and lots of learning to come!







We departed SC School for the Deaf and Blind this morning at 7:00 and promptly ate a dozen doughnuts within about 4 minutes, between the 7 of us (I'd say a good start to the trip :) ) We laughed, giggled, semi-trunk honked our way north of Atlanta and took a pit stop (nothing too eventful to report) We then continued a bit farther before deciding to eat at McDonalds. We're apparently a chicken group, 6 of the 7 of us bought the Golden Arch's tasty grilled, nugget-styled or select strip meals. We enjoyed our meals, KelliJane emptied 2 huge jugs of sweet tea (into her stomach, not the floor) and Gerson did a great job ordering his food!

Either their food was dosed with someone, the excitement of Space Camp finally hit or riding on a bus past 5 hours energizes kids, but that's when the endeavor to make semi-trucks honk at us began. Other than the short reprimand for having 9/10 of his body out the bus window, Brandon is a pro at getting trucks to honk (you should be proud, Calvin and Cathi! :) ) The honking somehow filled all of the students' bladders with excitement (I'll have to reread my science textbooks, I've never learned about that phenomenon) so we stopped again.

Naturally, being in Alabama, we HAD to stop at Big Daddy's Fireworks. For better or worse, I prevented the students from buying any fireworks, but we did play with the cat that was perusing the store and discussed how much fun it would be to launch a rocket AND launch a firework inside of that rocket.

We finished our journey to Huntsville and the students anxiously jumped off the bus to see their new home for the week. Everyone seemed pleased with their "habitats" (Space Camp's word for dorms) After checking in with their team leaders and sick bay (health center) The students broke up into their groups.

Matthew and Gerson- Team Von Tiesenhausen (designer of the Lunar Rover)
Mimi and Taylor - Team Orville (famous Wright brother, first manned flight)
KelliJane and Brandon- Team Wilbur (other famous Wright brother, first manned flight)

I'm interpreting for Team Wilbur, but will jump around to the other groups to take pictures and make sure everyone is doing well. This evening I was with KelliJane, Brandon and their crew and we learned about the missions we'll be doing later this week. We also learned about Kaika the Space Dog sent up in Russia's Sputnik 2 and several early astronauts and rocket builders. Did you know that Sputnik 1 was only the size of a volleyball?

I caught up with Matthew before bed and he wanted to add, "Space Camp is already really fun! I've met new people, and re-met friends from Mason Dixon Tournament, San Francisco and the RIT Science Fair I went to a few weeks ago. This week will be tough (a lot of information) but F-U-N!!"

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone!

    Thank you for sharing picture this blog with us.

    Matthew and Gerson, I'm so glad that you are same my team is Von Tiesenhausen from last year! I hope that you have a blast times this weeks. They have a lot of good experience and activity there too!

    Mimi and Taylor, Wow, I never hear about Wilbur but it is sound good. Which is age part of? Love and miss you too!

    Brandon and Kelli Jane, That cool new team is Wilbur. Hope you have fun and good experience for plane. I really want to Brandon and Kelli Jane work very hard and some new learns.

    I just want to tell you that our Middle School and I going to Field Day for tomorrow whole day. I hope that we have fun for Field Day and five students from Middle school hope you have a lot fun there too!

    Hope you write back to me as soon! I love to vision new your pictures and hope more too!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete